Top 3 Easter Hazards For Your Pet

Top 3 Easter Hazards For Your Pet

Those of us lucky enough to have them, will be tucking into Easter eggs and other Easter treats over the bank holiday weekend, but these treats are very dangerous for your special companions.

Chocolate
One of the biggest dangers over Easter, especially for dogs, is chocolate. With your home probably stuffed with Easter eggs it is extremely important to keep them out of eating reach of your pets. Chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs and if consumed in large amounts can be life-threatening. The toxicity of chocolate depends on the dog’s weight, type of chocolate as well as the amount the dog digests. Occasionally accidents do happen, and side effects from eating chocolate usually present themselves within 4-24 hours. If your dog has eaten chocolate, you may see the following symptoms:

  1. Vomiting (may include blood)                                                                      
  2. Diarrhoea
  3. Restlessness and hyperactivity
  4. Rapid breathing
  5. Muscle tension, incoordination
  6. Increased heart rate
  7. Seizures

Remember if you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate do not hesitate to contact your vet for advice, it will help them to know what type of chocolate they have eaten and when they ate it.

Raisins
Everyone (almost) loves a Hot-Cross Bun. They are extremely yummy to us and also to your pets but not very good for them. These Easter treats contain raisins, currants and sultanas – all of which are toxic to dogs. Please always call your veterinary surgery if you suspect your pet has eaten food containing raisins as eating only a small amount can cause problems for some pets.

Lilies

Lilies are beautiful, and are part of many bouquets especially around Valentine’s Day and Easter.

Unfortunately, lilies and cats are a harmful mix. Even cleaning the pollen from their fur can be enough to send cats into critical illness and awareness of the risks of lily poisoning is important for every cat owner. Signs and symptoms to look out for are:

  • Vomiting
  • Tiredness
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Increased urination followed by lack of urination
  • Dehydration

If you suspect that your cat may have eaten any part of a lily plant or even just chewed on a leaf please seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.

Treats don’t have to be off the agenda completely and there’s no harm in giving your dog the occasional tasty treat. Specialist treats and chews are a much better alternative to chocolate or high-calorie human food, and will often contain vital ingredients for your pet’s health.

Just remember that treats count as part of your dog’s daily food intake, so please keep an eye on your dog’s overall weight and body condition to ensure they’re not becoming overweight.


0 comments

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

ProofFactor