Top tips for keeping your pets safe at Christmas

Top tips for keeping your pets safe at Christmas

It's the most wonderful time of the year... here are our tips to keep your pets safe and help you avoid a hefty vet bill when you least need it!

Coffee, Raisins, Grapes and Sultanas are tasty for us but can cause kidney failure, liver failure and other problems in pets. Raisins and grapes are VERY toxic and can cause kidney failure, nobody is quite sure why so they should be avoided entirely, 

TIP: Keep all temptation out of reach. No mince pies or Christmas pudding.

The toxic list also includes the sweetener xylitol, which in even small amounts can be highly toxic. Xylitol can be found in chewing gum, some sweets, mints, toothpaste, and mouthwash. 

Thankfully most people no know that Chocolate is toxic. A tiny chunk is unlikely to cause any trouble, but anything more could cause problems. 

TIP: Avoid trouble and buy some proper ‘dog chocolate’.

Human food, treats and scraps that are a change to your pets normal diet can cause stomach upsets, vomiting, diarrhoea and even more serious conditions such as Pancreatitis which can be fatal.  

TIP: Offer carrot sticks or have a couple of new toys to hand to give instead!  

TIP: Keep your pets diet constant, give them their normal amount of cat or dog food. This includes cats on special diets for problems such as renal disease or cystitis.

Mistletoe, Holly, Potpourri and Poinsettias should be avoided.  As always, extreme caution is needed with lilies as the pollen can cause renal failure in cats.

TIP: Needles from the tree should be hoovered at least daily. Keep tinsel and similar decorations out of reach. Secure your tree! Ensure electric cables for lights are well protected or out the way - these can often be chewed, especially by house rabbits! Keep tempting smelling presents out of reach!

There are often still fireworks at this time of year so keep your pets inside and stock up on DAP and Feliway to calm them.

TIP: Consider more natural calming therapies or sedatives. 

There are a few other winter hazards to be aware of – the salt and grit on the roads can be irritant to dog’s feet.

TIP: Wipe their feet when coming back from walks.

Be very careful of anti-freeze, as the taste can be attractive especially to cats and can cause severe kidney failure. Finally, remember to keep up with your flea medication. As the central heating comes on and people stop using the flea medications, remember your flea treatments! 

TIP: Stock up on Indorex and flea treatments.

We wish all of you a Happy and Healthy Christmas and New Year!

 


0 comments

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published